Memorial Institute

To book the Caerwys Memorial Institute and for any further enquiries – please contact

Kris Chambers – Secretary & Treasurer
Telephone; 01352 720314
E-mail; kchambers@marianhouse.plus.com

The Caerwys Memorial Institute was built in 1922, as a war memorial to the men who fell in service of their King and Country during the Great War. The land was donated to the people of Caerwys by the Right Honourable Sir John Herbert Lewis – who was a member of the then, His Majesty’s Privy Council. (Sir Herbert resided in Plas Penucha, Pen -y- Cefn, Caerwys) . Apart from the memorial building a Bowling Green was included, which has turned out to be one of the best Crown Greens in North Wales. In 1926 Sir Herbert donated a further parcel of land to the people of Caerwys – which is where the two tennis courts and the children’s playground is situated.
The building can be hired for functions and meetings (no alcohol is allowed as this was a condition placed on the agreement for the donated land).

Presently the building is used for various meetings, such as the Town Council, Farmers Union, Woman’s Institute, and the Youth Club who are all regular users. The annual Remembrance Sunday Wreath Laying Service is also held at the Institute. Please read more about this event further down this web page.

The present day running of the building is the responsibility of a Management Committee, who are selected and nominated from the residents of the town and community, together with representative Councillors. Please find the following details in respect of the senior officials of the Management Committee, and to whom enquiries can be made in relation to the hire of the building, or any further information

Officials to the Memorial Institute Trustees

Chairman
Steve Wilson
Telephone: 07817 023977
E-mail: stevefromwales@icloud.com

Secretary
Kris Chambers
Telephone; 01352 720314
E-mail; kchambers@marianhouse.plus.com

Remembrance Sunday

Each year on Remembrance Sunday, a service is held in the Memorial Institute at 12.30pm.
The ceremony is attended by representatives of local committees, the congregation of St.Michael’s Church and the Bethel Chapel, together with members of the public. The service will begin in the main Institute room, with the Rector of Caerwys officiating.
Following the inside ceremony, everyone will gather outside by the two Memorial Name Plaques (as pictured), with the Rector of Caerwys reading out the names of those killed in battle during the first and second world wars, between 1914 to 1918 and 1939 to 1945. After the laying of the wreaths, by the Town Mayor, the Chairman of the Institute Committee and the Caerwys Brownies – everyone present observes a two minute silence – followed by the playing of the Last Post.

Mark Wynne, Caerwys Brownies and Mayor of Caerwys Steve Copple
Venerable Andy Grimwood – Archdeacon of St Asaph – conducted the Service (2019)
Mayor & Mayoress of Caerwys Steve & Jane Copple